Features of Telecommunications 5-Year Plan (2007 – 2011):
The plan aspires to create an information and knowledge society by developing the infrastructure and building the required capacities to increase the security and confidence in using these technologies and to institute a conducing environment. That shall enable all citizens to benefit from the great opportunities offered by ICT.
Of the main features of the plan:
- Deployment of public telecommunication networks all over the country to sustain peace and national unity. The proposed deployment penetration rate is 40 to 60 % of all inhabitants by the end of the plan.
- Realizing the Universal Service objective, (telecommunications access every 5 to 10 kilometres).
- The institution of the required legal and regulatory frame to meet the advancing technological development and applications enhance free competition.
- Contribution to building public capacities, skills and knowledge to enable of the utilization of ICT technology.
- To catch up with the international information society and face challenges thereto guided by the national strategy based on Tunis Declaration.
There are also some recommendations considered necessary for the ICT industry development in Sudan:
- ICT regulation shall be acknowledged as a federal issue.
- Release of a comprehensive federal ICT law. The law shall meet all requirements of the incessant technology development. The law shall assert the role of NTC authority as a regulator and the role of other related entities while ensuring integrity, harmony and non-conflict.
- Exemption of ICT industry inputs from custom duties and any local, state and federal taxes in conformation with the Comprehensive National Strategy and Tunis Declaration, withholding only the Value Added Tax.
- Adopting a so versatile employment policy and appealing conditions as to attract competent cadre and experts in technical, economical, legal, financial and administrative fields and guarantee their loyalty.