Rights & duties
ICT customers’ rights:
The customer has rights and liabilities. The rights of the customer are normally explained within the contractual context with the service provider. Those rights stem essentially from the very nature of the service. Being a public service it is guaranteed by State mandate as a human right same as education, healthcare and security. This generic kind of service is always secured whether being supplied in a state monopoly or competitive private environments.
The present quantum leap of technology and the subsequent generated services created new types of customers and market conditions. So, the customers’ rights are of two generic types:
- Basic rights originated from the service being a public one guaranteed by the state.
- Acquired rights upon the agreement or contract between the customer and the service provider.
Basic Consumer Rights:
- Transparency: service providers should detail to the customer all authorized prices and the conditions of service provision.
- Information and the right of selection: the customer has the right to get all necessary information that details to him all the features and characteristics of the service. He has the right to choose the service he prefers and the licensed provider. Customer’s own decision should be obeyed.
- Privacy and confidentiality of given information: the customer has the right of confidentiality of his personal information and records. The service provider shall keep all such information safe from any illegal acquisition by any means, whither technical or other. Service providers should detail such right to customers.
- Avoidance of perversion and violation of social norms: The regulator and the service provider shall protect the customer from being exposed to any content considered harmful to the individual, the society and religious and moral values.
- Right to have his say and participate in pubic consultations: the customer shall have the right to extend his opinion and participate in public consultations in the relative policies and regulatory procedures. He shall be invited for consultations and be informed in case of reconsideration, correction. The customer should be aware of these rights and of the institutions that support these rights and those he can refer to for protection from any violations.
- Representation: the customer shall have the right to be represented by eligible associations or agencies to provide legal protection against any domineering act or negative effects of companies’ authority.
Acquired Consumer Rights:To enjoy an affordable, good-quality and well-maintained service, the following rights are secured on mutual agreement between the service provider and the customer:
- Legal contract.
- Knowledge of the methodology of service cost estimation.
- Knowledge of service quality assessment.
- Knowledge of potential hazards.
- Service provider identity.
- Details of the provided service, date of commencement and degree of quality.
- After-sale services.
- (Service & maintenance) fees and prices.
- Contract validity period and conditions of renewal or termination.
- Details of suitable compensation in case of illegitimate service interruption, quality degradation or harmful effects.
- Methods and procedures of disputes resolution.
ICT customers’ liabilities:ICT customers’ liabilities can be summed up as following:
- ICT service consumer shall not contract for service with an unlicensed provider.
- ICT service consumer shall report instantly any violation of the applicable laws by any person or entity.
- ICT service consumer shall conform to and not to violate the items of the service provision contract or agreement.
- ICT service consumer shall not misuse or attempt to misuse any of the ICT infrastructure components.
- ICT service consumer shall instantly report any violation or mischievous act to any of the ICT infrastructure components (vandalism, theft, etc.).
- Service consumer shall instantly report any unusual phenomenon related to the functionality and performance of infrastructure components
NTC welcomes any comments or added information to ameliorate and develop this important issue for the benefit of customers.